Scoliosis is a type of abnormality of the spine in which the spine bends in one direction causing loss of alignment. The curve may be in the shape of a C or an S. Scoliosis is a disease that starts to show effects from early teenage, however, it does not have any major visible symptoms.
There are two major types of scoliosis namely Degenerative Scoliosis and Idiopathic Scoliosis. The visible symptoms of Scoliosis include the uneven fitting of clothing or sideways curvature of the body, change in the way of walking and hip alignment, difficulty in breathing, pain in the back, cardiovascular problems, and much more.
Scoliosis, if diagnosed early can be treated by wearing braces so that the curve does not progress into something else. However, if the curve cannot be controlled with a brace, surgery is prescribed. So the basic aim of the scoliosis surgery is to help reduce the curve, stop the curve from progressing any further and also help the person maintain their balance.
Before undergoing any surgery make sure that it is the right treatment. The degree of the condition and the location of the curve are two very important things to keep in mind before undergoing a surgery. It is also not a good idea to go for the surgery if the spine is still growing.
How does it work?
There are many different procedures that come with Scoliosis Surgery. However, these techniques are the most common and effective ones
● Fusion: This procedure involves a fusion of a few vertebrae together so that these cannot bend anymore and grow together as one vertebra. Various instruments like rods, wires, and hooks are used to achieve this. This is one of the most effective surgical procedure for Scoliosis.
● Growing System: This surgery is mainly performed in growing children whose spine is still developing. A few rods are fixed into the spine to correct the curve as the child progresses to develop. The surgery has to be repeated every 6 to 8 months. Once the child has matured completely, he undergoes spinal fusion.
● Fusion less: This method is based on the theory that if a constant pressure is applied to the spine, it will start growing slower and much denser. This method involves attaching some screws to the outer curvature and then pulling them with a string in order to straighten the spine.
There are a few side effects associated with the Scoliosis Surgery that includes:
● Back pain still remains
● No improvement in the breathing problems.
● Damage to the nerves or muscles near the spine
● Failure of the procedure
● Attachment of wrong implants
● Bleeding in the operated area.
A few X-Rays, MRI, and CT-Scan are done in order to determine the exact degree of progression of the disease. The patient is also enquired about his family history and any other diseases he has. The doctors may also determine the procedures on the basis of the age of the patient and whether his or her spine is still in the growing period or not.
What to expect after?
After the surgery, the patient is left to recover for about two weeks or more. This depends on how big the surgery was and how much area had to be opened up to be corrected. The alignment improves dramatically after the surgery.
However, it might take several months for the patient to restart their daily activities. The patients might also feel that their range of motion has decreased, this is normal and happens to all the people after Scoliosis Surgery.
The results of the Scoliosis Surgery are mostly positive, however, there are a few complications involved. It is very important to undergo all the prescribed tests so that the doctors can determine the perfect plan of action.
Surgeons in India specialize in Scoliosis Surgery. Hospitals are equipped with OT that are compatible with complex spine surgery. Very few surgeons can perform scoliosis surgery in India but Treatment Possible associates with surgeons who are experienced in operating complex scoliosis case on a kid as well as a grown-up.
Post surgery hospital stay is for 2-3 days due to small incision and bloodless surgery. The cost of scoliosis surgery in India is in the range of USD 6000-8000.
Treatment Possible for patients needing Scoliosis Surgery in India
Treatment Possible ensures high-quality surgery is provided while we guarantee the lowest cost. Our understanding of Indian Healthcare market and our valued relation with surgeons enables us to provide the cost that is reasonable, affordable and transparent. You can send your reports to firstname.lastname@example.org for free opinion and suggestion from best surgeons in India.