What is Stereotactic Radiosurgery?
CyberKnife is a brand name for a device and it is a robotic radiosurgery system which delivers stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). This is an image-guided technique of delivering high doses of radiation with extreme accuracy. Although it contains the word “knife” there is no knife or incision involved.
Stereotactic radiosurgery damages the DNA of the targeted cells. Therefore the affected cells lose the ability to reproduce, which causes the tumors to shrink. The purpose is to kill cancer cells while limiting damage to healthy tissues and organs. This non-invasive treatment uses high doses of radiation with high accuracy, to treat tumors in the brain, neck, lungs, liver, spine, prostate, pancreas and other parts of the body. This does not need extensive sessions but only a couple of sessions.
The Cost stereotactic radiosurgery in India ranges from USD 7000 to 12000 depending on the type of cancer.
Request a Free Estimate
What are the Benefits of Stereotactic Radiosurgery?
There are a few benefits of stereotactic radiosurgery or CyberKnife when compared to other treatments:
- There’s no incision or pain involved.
- There’s no need for anesthesia or a hospital stay.
- You can return to your normal activities.
- Less time-consuming compared to conventional radiation or chemotherapy. SBRT takes a few days , whereas conventional radiation therapy takes as long as eight or nine weeks to complete.
- There’s no extended recovery period.
Not all cancers benefit from cyberknife radiation.
Which Conditions can be Treated by Stereotactic Radiosurgery?
The stereotactic radiosurgery treats a variety of neurological and other conditions, including:
- Brain tumor – Stereotactic radiosurgery is often used to treat noncancerous (benign) and cancerous (malignant) brain tumors, including meningioma, paraganglioma, hemangioblastoma and craniopharyngioma.
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) – Abnormal tangles of arteries and veins in your brain is called AVM. The normal flow of blood is disrupted in AVM and leads to bleeding (hemorrhage) or stroke. Stereotactic radiosurgery destroys the AVM and the affected blood vessels would be closed over a period of time.
- Trigeminal neuralgia – Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic pain disorder of the trigeminal nerves. This nerve disorder causes extreme facial pain that feels like an electric shock but Stereotactic radiosurgery neuralgia targets the nerve root to disrupt these pain signals.
- Acoustic neuroma – This is a noncancerous tumor which leads from your inner ear to your brain. In this condition a person can experience hearing loss, dizziness, loss of balance and ringing in the ear (tinnitus). Stereotactic radiosurgery may stop the growth or minimize the size of an acoustic neuroma without permanent nerve damage.
- Pituitary tumors – This is a tumor at the base of the brain (pituitary gland). Stereotactic radiosurgery is used to shrink the tumor and minimize the disruption of pituitary hormone regulation.
- Tremors – Stereotactic radiosurgery is used to treat tremors associated with neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and essential tremor.
- Other cancers – Stereotactic radiosurgery is used for liver cancer, lung cancer and spine cancer.
What happens during Stereotactic Radiosurgery or CyberKnife?
Step 1 – You’ll be placed in the proper position on a table. Then, a computer-controlled robot will move slowly around the table, which focuses many small beams of radiation on a tumor or other target.
Step 2 – The software will adjust radiation for your breathing pattern and any movement of the tumor. The high dose of radiation delivered to the affected area causes the tumors to shrink and blood vessels would be closed over a period of time, disrupting the blood supply to the tumor.
Step 3 – The precision of stereotactic radiosurgery means there’s minimal damage to the healthy surrounding tissues.
This is a non-invasive, painless procedure. Each session will last anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes. Once it’s over, you should be able to get up and resume your normal activities right away.
Care at Treatment Possible:
You can also send your medical reports for treatment with the best hospital in India to firstname.lastname@example.org for free opinions and suggestions from Top Surgeon in India with the hassle-free setup of post-operative recovery care, medical travel & stay during the Medical treatment. No matter what the health condition, you always get good healthcare options and cost advantage from Treatment Possible.
From Treatment To Recovery, We Are Always There With You!
Medical Visa Letter
We provide a Medical visa letter for which we require the scanned passport copies of the patient and attendant.
Arrange An Appointment With A Surgeon
We arrange for the appointment with the surgeon, confirm for the hospital room and operation theatre (if required)
Post Surgery Follow Up
We help you to fix your telephonic appointment for future follow-ups
We arrange for complimentary pickup and drop services from the airport.
All The Necessary Arrangements
We arrange for hospital admission, forex exchange, sim card and local assistance
No Need To Worry About Essential Expenses!
We help in sorting out the hospital bill, return ticket, medicines and other essential purchases.