Verified By: Dr. Rakesh Rai (American Society of Transplant Fellowship, MD, FRCS, CCST) |Updated On March 4, 2020
What is the Kidney Transplant Cost in India?
The kidney transplant cost in India is $14,000 (or ~10,08, 000 Indian rupees)
- Work-up for recipient and donor to match compatibility.
- Surgery of kidney transplant donor.
- Surgery of recipients.
- ICU and ward stay for both donor and recipient.
- 5 days for the donor.
- 10 days for the recipient.
- OT charges, surgeon fees, consumables and pharmacy during the hospital stay.
- A second anti-rejection drug will cost an additional $1500 if required. It is required in less than 20% of kidney transplant surgeries
- Stay outside of the hospital treatment period during the legal clearance.
- Legal clearance will take 1 to 3 weeks. During this period, we shall provide our service apartment at an affordable rate.
- Additional dialysis may be required out of hospitalization.
- Any other cost arising out of unseen clinical conditions.
|Cost of accommodation if you opt to stay in a hotel:||Cost of accommodation if you opt for a service apartment:|
If you stay in a hotel then it will cost you a minimum of $55 a day. This means $1650 a month.
The cost of a service apartment is $35 per day. That makes it $1050 per month
Your daily food will cost around $20 per day (minimum). That will be a total of $600 a month
Your daily food expenses will be an average of $6 per day i.e $180 a month (if you cook it at home)
The total amount of expense spent on accommodation & food will be $2250 a month.
The total amount of expenses spent on food and service apartments will be an average of $1230 a month.
The kidney transplant surgery cost India can be between USD 14,000 to 16,000 including the cost of a stay, food, etc.
Want more clarification about medical expense & treatment plan?
Plan for Kidney Transplant In IndiaGet a Free Doctor's OpinionWhatapp Us
What Legal Documents are required for Kidney Transplant in India?
A donor from the family – Parents, siblings, spouse, children who are above 18 years of age.
Immediate relatives except for spouse:
- Birth certificate.
- An affidavit from the patient stating the list of all family members and near relatives.
- An affidavit from the donor stating the exact relationship with the patient and stating that donation is free, voluntary and without financial remuneration or coercion and given due to love and affection only.
- Family tree.
- Local address proof.
- Family pictures of the patient with the donor, and other family members.
- Marriage certificate (if married).
- Fifteen passport size photos.
- Income proof of 3 years.
- Approval from the home country embassy in India (for out of India kidney transplant surgery patients).
- Police verification for address and criminal records.
Immediate relative to be accompanied – Parent or any of the siblings of the donor or child above 18 years. The donor’s close relative must be physically present for the Authorization Committee clearance.
If the donor is married – Presence of the spouse is essential/ children above 18 years of age In the event of Parents not alive, elder brother/sister/son or daughter to be physically present. The donor's close relative must be physically present for the Authorization Committee Clearance.
What are the supporting documents for the Clearance of the renal transplant procedure from the Authorization Committee?
- Affidavits from the recipient, donor and the immediate relative of the donor should be attested by the Notary Public
- Legal forms
- Donor and recipient performance
- 20 passport size photographs each of recipient and donor
- 5 Passport size photos of Immediate relative
- NOC from the Embassy which is in India
- A DNA test is mandatory to establish the relationship between donor and recipient and the donor’s close relatives.
Know More About Kana Teferi's Experience:
How is a Kidney Transplant Performed?
Step 1 – The surgeon makes an incision in the lower part of one side of your abdomen and places the new kidney into your body.
Step 2 – The blood vessels of the new kidney are attached to blood vessels in the lower part of your abdomen, just above one of your legs.
Step 3 – The new kidney’s ureter is connected to your bladder. The ureter is a tube that carries urine from the kidney to the urinary bladder.
Step 4 – The transplanted kidney is monitored for kidney infections by the transplant team and intensive care doctors.
Most kidney transplant surgery patients can return to their normal activities within eight weeks after transplant but lifting heavy objects should be avoided. Medications are to be taken for the rest of your life.
Want more clarification about medical expense & treatment plan?
Plan for Kidney Transplant In IndiaGet a Free Doctor's OpinionWhatapp Us
Why is a Kidney Transplant Required?
High blood pressure and diabetes (both Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes) are the two main causes of kidney disease.
Let us first try to understand what happens when kidney failure occurs. The main function of the two kidneys is to filter and remove waste and minerals from the blood by producing urine. However, the damage to the nephrons in the kidneys makes them lose their dangerous waste filtering capabilities or essentially kidney failure.
The harmful substances, therefore, remain in circulation in the blood which can be life-threatening over time due to the alteration of the blood’s chemical balance. This condition is termed kidney disease and when untreated can cause multiple organ failures and ultimately lead to death.
There are different stages of kidney disease and when the person has lost 90% of the kidney function in both the kidneys they are said to have end-stage kidney disease or end-stage renal disease.
People with the end-stage renal disease will need to have waste removed from their bloodstream through a dialysis machine to stay alive. However dialysis treatment is temporary and for permanent relief, a kidney transplant is required.
A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure to place or transplant a healthy kidney from a living or deceased donor also known as cadaveric donor into a person whose kidneys no longer function properly.
A kidney transplant offers the best chance of recovery for patients with kidney disease. Kidney transplant life expectancy is higher depending on how soon you get treatment.
Who is not Eligible for Kidney Transplant or Kidney Donor?
Certain conditions may prevent you from being eligible for kidney transplantation surgery or be a renal transplantation procedure donor. Some are mentioned below:
- Advanced age
- Severe heart disease
- Active or recently treated cancer
- Dementia or poorly controlled mental illness
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Any other factor that could affect the ability to safely undergo the procedure and take the medications needed after a transplant to prevent organ rejection
Is a Kidney Donor required to be available before the Kidney Transplant Procedure?
Yes. The chances of success are high if a donor is available and ready within the family. Due to medical, ethical, and regulatory issues, the chances of a non-family member’s kidney being available for transplants in many countries including India are slim.
- Kidney donor identification – Immediate family members may come forward on their own or can be requested to be a donor.
- Kidney donor available – A successful kidney transplant surgery first needs a donor preferably within the family with a healthy kidney willing to donate his/her kidney.
- Donor compatibility screening – Once the kidney transplant donor is ready, compatibility screening is required to ensure that it’s a match for the recipient to maximize the kidney transplant success rate.
- Confirmation of the donor match – It’s recommended to then do the blood typing, crossmatch and HLA typing and confirm that the willing donor’s kidney matches the patient’s kidney requirement.
What are the Next Steps after the Kidney Transplant Donor Match?
If the kidney donor requirements are met and the match is confirmed, please follow these steps:
- Contact the Treatment Possible team in Mumbai, India either through this website or by calling +91 89288 11870 or messaging us via WhatsApp.
- Please send the medical reports to us via email or upload them on this site.
- We shall get back to you with a free kidney specialist or nephrologist’s opinion from the best kidney transplant hospital in India.
- We also inform you about the kidney transplant price in India and other details related to the duration of hospital stay and overall recovery and rehabilitation after the kidney transplantation surgery is completed.
- We will also share the legal process and documentation required to establish a relationship between the donor and recipient of the kidney transplant procedure.
- These legal documents are required to be sent to the Hospital as per the legal procedures for the kidney transplant in India.
- Once the donor and medical/travel funds are arranged, you can plan your trip to India for the kidney transplantation procedure based on the itinerary provided by us.
- Once you arrive in India, the Treatment Possible team will provide the necessary services and support including pick-up from the airport, mobile SIM card, hospital scheduling, and accommodation arrangements for the kidney donor, kidney patient, and other members of the family.
Please watch a testimonial of our patient who received the kidney transplant in India from Ethiopia at https://www.facebook.com/treatmentpossible/
Kidney Transplant at Treatment Possible:
Treatment Possible is associated with the Best Doctor for Kidney Transplant in India who are experienced in operating complex cases and ensure the highest success rate. We only work with Top 10 hospital for Kidney Transplant in India that are equipped with OT that are compatible with complex Kidney Transplant surgeries.
Our understanding of the Indian Healthcare market and our valued relation with best hospitals for Kidney Transplant in India enables us to maintain the cost that are reasonable, affordable and transparent. The kidney transplant cost in India at Treatment Possible can be 10-20% lower than similar companies in India and 50-60% cheaper than in other countries.
You can also send your medical reports for kidney transplant Surgery to email@example.com for free opinions and suggestions from The Best Kidney Transplant Surgeon in India with the hassle-free setup of post-operative recovery care, medical travel & stay during the Medical treatment. No matter what the health condition, you always get good healthcare options and cost advantage from Treatment Possible.
From Treatment To Recovery, We Are Always There With You!
Medical Visa Letter
We provide a Medical visa letter for which we require the scanned passport copies of the patient and attendant.
Arrange An Appointment With A Surgeon
We arrange for the appointment with the surgeon, confirm for the hospital room and operation theatre (if required)
Post Surgery Follow Up
We help you to fix your telephonic appointment for future follow-ups
We arrange for complimentary pickup and drop services from the airport.
All The Necessary Arrangements
We arrange for hospital admission, forex exchange, sim card and local assistance
No Need To Worry About Essential Expenses!
We help in sorting out the hospital bill, return ticket, medicines and other essential purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):
Q1. What are the causes of kidney disease?
The causes of kidney diseases are diabetes, uncontrolled high blood pressure, and polycystic kidney disease.
Q2. What are the risks/side effects of kidney transplant?
- Leaking from or blockage of the tube (ureter) that links the kidney to the bladder
- Failure or rejection of the donated kidney
- An infection or cancer that can be transmitted with the donated kidney.
Q3. Who is a candidate for a kidney transplant?
- A kidney transplant may be an option if your kidneys have stopped working entirely. This condition is called end-stage renal disease (ESRD) or end-stage kidney disease (ESKD).
- Chronic irreversible kidney disease that has not responded to other medical or surgical treatments and if a person is on dialysis then he is eligible for a kidney transplant.
Q4. How long do you have to wait for a deceased donor organ?
It depends on the HLA typing test, blood typing test and cross-match test between the transplant patient and the donor and also depends on the Transplant Registry waitlist. Some people get a match within several months, and others may wait several years before they get a call from their transplant centers.
Q5. How long does a kidney transplant surgery take?
Approximately two to three hours.
Q6. When is a Kidney Transplant required?
When kidneys lose their filtering capabilities, the condition is termed kidney disease. The harmful substances remain in circulation in the blood which can be life-threatening over time. Kidney disease when untreated can cause multiple organ failures and ultimately lead to death. The solution is a live donor transplant or organic transplantation from a cadaveric donor to replace the diseased kidney or kidneys.
Q7. Who is a candidate for a kidney transplant?
Chronic irreversible kidney disease that has not responded to other medical or surgical treatments and If a person is on dialysis then he is eligible for a kidney transplant.
Q8. How do you get tested to be a kidney donor?
There are three main blood tests to check for compatibility between donor and recipient:
- Blood type test – This makes sure the donor’s blood type and the recipient’s blood type are a good match enhancing
the chances for a successful kidney transplant.
- Crossmatch test – Doctors mix a sample of the donor’s blood with a sample of the recipient’s to see how they react.
- Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) typing.