Verified By: Dr. Donald John Babu (MBBS, MS, FCPS, MCh – Surgical Oncology, MRCS (UK), FICS)
Lung Cancer Treatment:
With many advanced treatments available, lung cancer can be treated completely if detected at an early stage. For those in advanced stages of lung cancer, the growth of the cancer cells can be controlled through effective treatments and therapies. Each patient is given a different treatment plan, depending on the type of lung cancer, stage and overall health.
What are the Treatment Options for Lung Cancer?
Depending on the type and stage of lung cancer, it can be treated with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy or a combination of treatments. The treatment of Lung cancer will include one or more of the following approaches:
Surgery may be an option for early-stage lung cancers. The type of surgery will depend on the size and location of the tumor in the lung, the extent of cancer and other factors.
- If you have a large tumor, your physician will recommend chemotherapy or radiation therapy before surgery to shrink cancer.
- If cancer cells were left behind after surgery or there is a risk that your cancer may recur, then your physician may recommend chemotherapy or radiation therapy after surgery.
During surgery, the surgeon removes the lung cancer and a margin of healthy tissue. The types of surgery include the following:
- Segmental or wedge resection: Removal of only a small section of the lung that contains the tumor along with a margin of healthy tissue
- Lobectomy: An entire lobe of the lung is removed
- Pneumonectomy: An entire lung is removed
- Sleeve resection: Removal of a piece of bronchus following which the lung is reattached to the remaining part of the bronchus
Radiotherapy uses high energy beams from X-rays and protons to kill cancer cells.
- Radiation is used before surgery or after surgery for people with locally advanced lung cancer. It is often combined with chemotherapy treatments.
- If surgery is not an option, then combined chemotherapy and radiation therapy may be your primary treatment.
- In advanced lung cancers and those that have cancer spread to other areas of the body, radiation therapy may help to relieve pain.
Chemotherapy is used after surgery to kill any cancer cells that may remain.
- Chemotherapy can be used alone or it can be combined with radiation therapy.
- Chemotherapy may also be used before surgery to shrink cancers to make them easier to remove.
- In advanced lung cancer, chemotherapy can be used to relieve pain.
Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy:
Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy, also known as radiosurgery, is an intense radiation treatment that aims beams of radiation from many angles at cancer.
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy may be an option for people with small lung cancers who cannot undergo surgery.
- It can also be used to treat lung cancer that spreads to other parts of the body, including the brain.
Targeted drug treatments aim at specific abnormalities present within the cancer cells.
- Targeted drug treatments block these abnormalities and destroy cancer cells.
- Targeted therapy drugs are reserved for people with advanced or recurrent cancer.
- Targeted therapies only work in those people whose cancer cells have certain genetic mutations.
Immunotherapy uses your immune system to fight cancer, but your immune system may not attack the cancer cells because the cancer cells produce proteins that help them to hide from the immune system. Immunotherapy works by interfering with that process.
Immunotherapy treatments are reserved only for people with advanced lung cancers, recurrent cancer and cancers that have spread to other parts of the body.
What are the Side Effects of Lung Cancer Treatment?
Lung Cancer treatment is associated with certain side effects and the severity of these side effects depends upon the treatment plan.
- Surgery has side effects like pain, numbness, breathlessness and infection, most of which can be controlled through proper medication.
- Chemotherapy has side effects such as hair loss, fatigue, loss of appetite, constipation, Diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and mouth sores.
- Radiotherapy has side effects like redness of the skin and peeling.
- In Biological therapy, you may face flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, muscle aches and weakness along with nausea, vomiting, Diarrhoea and loss of appetite.
These side effects are temporary and start disappearing within a few days after the treatment. Proper follow-up care and careful compliance with doctor’s instructions can help you control the intensity of these side effects quite effectively. A well-balanced diet can help you fight the side effects of lung cancer.
What can you Expect after Lung Cancer Treatment?
“Increase your sense of well-being after cancer treatment. Discover a new personal strength and look after yourself by doing some physical activities. Keep your body and mind healthy!”
Follow-up care is one thing you would have to go for, once you are done with your lung cancer treatment. This will ensure there are no recurrences or secondary cancers. This will also help you manage any long-term or delayed side effects efficiently. Life is going to change after getting diagnosed with lung cancer. For all you may know, it may not even be possible to get completely cured of lung cancer. The lung cancer treatment may utmost help you relieve your symptoms and control the growth of those cancer cells. However, with the right mentality, proper medication and a few lifestyle changes you can have a better quality of life.
How can you Prepare yourself for the Lung Cancer Treatment?
The first and foremost thing that you need to do is keep yourself well informed about your cancer, this improves your quality of life as this can make the disease seem less mysterious and frightening. Information from your doctor and other credible sources can be very helpful in this respect.
When a person is diagnosed with cancer it has an adverse effect on their emotional state, so you need to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally. This can be done by being transparent with your family and friends about how you feel, the problems you have been facing so they can help you in a better way. And as a peer or a family member of the patient, you must support them at all times by listening to them patiently as they are emotionally compromised.
You can avail services of a counsellor or attend group therapies consisting of people sharing their past experiences of cancer.
Writing down about your queries, problems, new symptoms, any physical changes, medications, past medical reports and other important things will help you to clearly express yourself to the doctor.
How do we care about your Lung cancer treatment?
About almost for a decade Treatment Possible has been involved in guiding patients to undergo treatment in India, our main objective is to provide the best options for your treatment of lung cancer in India at the lowest cost. Thus, we recognize the significance of the excellent health and well being of our guests by preferring association with Top oncologists and the Best Hospitals for Lung Cancer treatment in India.
We encourage you to educate yourself about the procedure, cost, treatment plan for lung cancer, travel & stay, etc and then make an informed decision. An individually allocated case manager takes a personalized interest to design a tailor-made treatment plan for every guest and provide a specific time.
For an early response from a case manager, Medical History and Diagnostic Reports can be sent to email@example.com. Treatment Possible invites you for a Free Consultation with chosen Top Lung Cancer Surgeons in India with the assurance of hassle-free arrangements for examinations, procedures, recovery, travel and stay.
From Treatment To Recovery, We Are Always There With You!
Medical Visa Letter
We provide a Medical visa letter for which we require the scanned passport copies of the patient and attendant.
Arrange An Appointment With A Surgeon
We arrange for the appointment with the surgeon, confirm for the hospital room and operation theatre (if required)
Post Surgery Follow Up
We help you to fix your telephonic appointment for future follow-ups
We arrange for complimentary pickup and drop services from the airport.
All The Necessary Arrangements
We arrange for hospital admission, forex exchange, sim card and local assistance
No Need To Worry About Essential Expenses!
We help in sorting out the hospital bill, return ticket, medicines and other essential purchases.